javanica review

File:Botany plate 124 britannica 5th edition 1817 engraved by William Miller for William Archibald.jpgA spicy floral—round, nutty, nutmeggy anyway, delicate woods—I loved this one the minute I smelled it—Actually, this whole line had me shaking my head in wonder, asking: how does she do it?

Definitely sweet, but dark as well, and it smells foggy somehow, as if a fragrant steam were rising up from my hand, comforting as a cup of hot java. I could see this being a great comfort in the dark winter months-its exotic tropicality, yet almost holiday-oriented spiciness creating a truly winning combination.

Nutmeg botanical plate engraving by William Miller for William Archibald. from Encyclopaedia Britannica 5th Edition, at the Encyclopaedia Press, For Archibald Constable and Company, and Thomson Bonar, Edinburgh: Gale, Curtis, and Fenner, London; and Thomas Wilson and Sons, York, 1817.

Comments

  1. Welcome back from your travels! I'm impressed that you were able to keep posting while you were away.

    Thank you for all the great reviews. It's interesting that Javanica is the only one of my fragrances that actually has nutmeg in it, but that you've smelled it in the others. It seems that there are certain things that combine to produce a nutmeg-like note, so now I'm trying to systematically figure out what they are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, LBV - welcome back! Javanica sounds lovely; sweet but dark? Now that's a combination I'd like to try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is sounding pretty tempting. Nutmeg is such a great smell - but funnily enough very few perfumes seem to include it. Why is that? I've not heard of Javanica.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Where are you? It is so strange not to get new posts from you... Did you get my package? Is everything all right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think LBV is suffering from the overload that comes when you get home from a trip and then the academic year starts up. I'm still recovering from those things, and didn't post in my blog for a long time, either. Patience, everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome back, Traveller!

    Morocco was my latest and possible best holiday ... almost ever. I actually want to move there for a few months. Andalucia has been my dream destination for ages, the rich history, buried deep. Oh share the stories :)

    Welcome back and as always, you are the one blogger that makes me wish for smell-screens when you write :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. HI Everyone! Here I am--your comments have lured me back! Doc Elly is right on the money--I was overwhelmed. Bellatrix, I recently got your package--maybe on Monday, and I apologize not having let you know sooner. I lost the note with the email address, though that's no excuse.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never heard of Javanica till now.. great stuff!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

what thinkest thou?

Popular posts from this blog

book and fragrance giveaway: Rebecca

A Perfume Riddle

Tauerama!: Tauer perfumes discovery set giveaway