An amusing read!

robinhoodpyle IN my other non-perfumista life, I am writing a dissertation on the Robin_Hoodmedieval English outlaw  tradition, so this hilarious post over at “Geoffrey Chaucer hath a Blog” really tickled my funnybone this morning. Check it out, if only to marvel that this blogger writes everything in Middle English!

I think it is especially fun to think about Robin Hood in the summer months, when the leaves are green and the birds are singing, and it’s possible to imagine a happy life among the greenwood trees, living off the land and an occasional deer.

Question: is there a fragrance that captures the summer scent of a ferny deciduous forest? My go-to Robin Hood perfume (yes, I have one, why are you looking at me so funny?) is Wild Hunt, but that isn’t really high summer. Suggestions, anyone?

 06_robinhood_wyeth_robinmeetsmarion

Images by Wyeth and Pyle, courtesy of the Robin Hood Project

Comments

  1. Well honey my favorite is Fir ~Ever Young by Velvet& Sweet Pea's Puurfumery.
    It's my forest embodied in it's evergreen essense,it just evokes for me the summer drenched trees and rain soaked earth along with jam-like juiciness in fir absolutes and black currants, juniper berries and frankincense and agarwood which leave it smokey like a campfire under the stars. It is my comfort sent and I always have my forest with me when I wear it.
    I love to dab the emerald drops on my skin like a fairy in the woods , anointing myself with a elixir that can conjure up magic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOh, I haven't tried this, but I;d like too! What a lovely description....

    ReplyDelete
  3. YSL's La Nuit de l'Homme startled me with how truly it recreated the scent of ferny deep woods on an August afternoon. Seriously, I almost heard the buzz of cicadas in the background. The current trend of men's fragrances to recoil from nature and embrace chemical artifice almost led me to write this one off unsniffed. I'm glad I gave it a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll have to try that too! Sounds marvelous. I was avoiding it for the very reasons you mention!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brava to the Warryour Women!!

    Oh, that was fun. And anecdote regarding the hidden labor of such an effort...a former paramour once wrote me a lovely birthday poem, in middle english. While he spoke 5 languages comfortable, ME was not part of his stable. So, when I read, laughed at the punch line, and got suitably verklempt at the nice part, all in less than a minute, he was both pleased an upset. Upset, because it took SO LITTLE TIME to absorb something that took him so long.

    I trust the writers of Geoffrey Chaucer Hath, having been pilgrims to Kalamazoo, are somewhat more comfortable using pen in that fashion... ;) Nonetheless, applause, applause.

    Wild Hunt is a happy forest place for me, too. I'm afraid I'm too busy in happy repose at the defense of the existence of Robin Hood to come up with summer forest. Though you might give Dans tes Bras a whirl, to see if you come up with mushrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH, the poor lovestruck poet! Hilarious.

    I know, I still think it must be hard work, no matter how well acquainted with ME the blogger may be.

    Will dance with Dans tes Bras soon....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

what thinkest thou?

Popular posts from this blog

book and fragrance giveaway: Rebecca

A Perfume Riddle

Tauerama!: Tauer perfumes discovery set giveaway